Long walk from Heathrow’s T2

By Edna R.S. Alvarez
This item appears on page 14 of the January 2015 issue.

I returned from London, flying to Los Angeles on United Airlines out of the airline’s new Terminal 2 at Heathrow Airport, on Oct. 22, 2014. After walking forever and ever from security to the gates in Terminal 2B (Gates B31-B49), I wondered just how far it was.

When I couldn’t find the information online, I asked the woman doing the check-in in the United Red Carpet Club if she knew how long the walk was. Without hesitation, she said, “Yes. It’s a mile!”

She went on to say that she walks it twice each day she works. She said a train is supposed to be added in a few years. Currently, a single cart that holds up to three passengers is sometimes available.

The posted airport signage says to allow 15 minutes for the walk, but that would only be if you’re a trained long-distance runner!

Also, all of the duty-free shops (except for one very small news shop and a small coffee shop) are located at the beginning of the “hike,” right after you go through security, so if you want to purchase duty-free items or food, it may be best to purchase them before the “hike” begins.

EDNA R.S. ALVAREZ

Los Angeles, CA